The first students entering the Faculty of Architecture in 1956 were at the entrance of the first building on Milli Müdafaa Caddesi No.18.

Middle East Technical University is founded under the name of "Orta Doğu Yüksek Teknoloji Enstitüsü" (Middle East High Technology Institute) on November 15th, 1956 to contribute to the development of Türkiye and Middle East countries and especially to train people so as to create a skilled workforce in the fields of natural and social sciences.Middle East Technical University's presence brought about new methods and introduced innovations to Turkish higher education system manifesting METU as a pioneer of modern education nationwide. In its earliest years, part of METU was located in a small building that belonged Social Security Office of Retirees at Kizilay's Müdafaa Street and the other section was located in the barracks behind the TBMM (Türkiye's National Grand Assembly). In 1963, the University moved to its current campus location which is the first university campus of Türkiye.
Citation Formats