Towards A New Honorific Column: The Column Of Constantine In Early Byzantine Urban Landscape

Download
2016-01-01
The first and the most important honorary column in early Byzantine Constantinople, the Column of Constantine, Cemberlitas Sutunu in Turkish, still stands upright at its original location today but remained virtually hidden behind the distinct silhouettes of multiple Ottoman minarets and domes. Completed in 330 AD, during the inauguration of the new capital, this colossal column was the architectural manifestation of Constantine the Great's transfer of imperial administration to the New or the Second Rome. In literature, this monument has been either considered as a city ornament emulating the ones in Rome, or taken up as a monumental post that merely contributed to the iconographic readings of Constantine's statue at its summit. No in-depth investigation was placed on the possible relation to its precedents and successors. The present paper argues that this rather neglected monument occupied a significant place within Constantine's urban reprogramming efforts to build a new capital. The colossal column was as an idiosyncratic combination of two Tetrarchic column monuments, Diocletian's victory column in Alexandria and the Five-column monument in Rome. It was not unusual but differentiated from their contemporaries in terms of its subordinating scale, visual dominance and ritual dimension. As such, Constantine's column gained multivalent urban meanings both within the history of freestanding columns and early Byzantine urbanism. Its formidable presence elicited such awe and wonder that the column figured prominently in the late fourth or early fifth century Tabula Peutingeriana as an undeniable urban icon for Constantinople, along with Old St. Peter's Basilica representing Rome and the Temple of Apollo at Daphne representing Antioch. More directly than any other work of architecture, this Column provided both an image and an identity to the New Rome.

Suggestions

An Urban node in the ritual landscape of Byzantine Constantinople: the church of St John the Baptist of the Stoudios Monastery
Giritlioğlu, Dilara Burcu; Yoncacı Arslan, Pelin; Department of History of Architecture (2019)
The Church of St. John the Baptist of the Stoudios Monastery is located in the southwestern corner of Byzantine Constantinople at the Psamathia region, near the Golden Gate of Theodosian Walls. It was built in the mid-fifth century by the consul Studius and used as a monastery church throughout the Byzantine period. This three-aisled basilica is the oldest ecclesiastical structure extant in Istanbul. The church was later converted into a mosque in the late fifteenth century and renamed as Imrahor Ilyas Bey ...
FROM PUBLIC MONUMENT TO PUBLIC SQUARE: CHANGING MEANING AND CONSERVATION OF SULTANAHMET SQUARE FROM LATE ROMAN THROUGH TO MODERN TIMES
Doğan Parlak, Sena; Serin, Ufuk; Department of Architecture (2021-5)
This study aims to investigate the process of the fragmentation of the Late Roman Hippodrome of Constantinople, and its transformation from a public monument into a public square from the Byzantine period through to Ottoman and modern times. This research also focuses on the conservation of this monument, starting with the Late Roman legal regulations concerning the conservation of urban public buildings and their architectural reuse. In addition to structural damage and alterations caused by both natural f...
On the short but eventful life of Abdulhalim Memduh
Wasti, Syed Tanvir (Informa UK Limited, 2019-12-06)
Reforms introduced in 1839 (known as the Tanzimat) which were intended to modernize the Ottoman political and administrative structure, led inevitably to movements which introduced new literary ideas into the Ottoman cultural sphere. One of the first writers who wished to see Ottoman literature catch up with developments in Europe was Abdulhalim Memduh (1866 - 1905). His contributions covered the areas of poetry, prose, drama, journalism and political activism. Memduh was not content with using classical ch...
Byzantium between “east” and “west”: perceptions and architectural historiography of the Byzantine heritage
Kılıç Yıldız, Şule; Güven, Suna Naziyet; Department of History of Architecture (2013)
This thesis explores the perceptions and historiography of Byzantium during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries focusing on late Ottoman Turkey. It examines the ways in which the cultural and architectural heritage of Byzantium was represented and described in historical writings within the context of the entangled relationships between nationalism, orientalism and historiography. The investigation is based on a close reading of the historical writings of influential scholars who played an imp...
The Policies of Nikephoros II Phokas in the context of the Byzantine economic recovery
Fattori, Niccolo; Dietrich, Richard; Department of Middle East Studies (2013)
This thesis will analyze the policies and the eastern military campaigns of the Byzantine emperor Nikephoros II Phokas, focusing on their correlation with the gradual recovery of the Byzantine economy that took place from the ninth to the eleventh century. The emperor’s conquering campaigns in Cilicia are seen as a response to the social and fiscal effects of said recovery, which caused the Byzantine state to assume a more aggressive stance.The thesis is structured in three parts, the first dealing with the...
Citation Formats
P. Yoncacı Arslan, “Towards A New Honorific Column: The Column Of Constantine In Early Byzantine Urban Landscape,” ODTÜ Mimarlık Fakültesi Dergisi, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 121–145, 2016, Accessed: 00, 2020. [Online]. Available: https://hdl.handle.net/11511/39361.